Saturday, May 23, 2015

Maya Angelou Addresses Her Common Comments



A few days ago, Maya Angelou had expressed her disappointment in rapper Common when she found out that her vocals proceeded an opening track in which Common used the "N" word on his new album "The Dreamer, The Believer". Maya's statement about the incident is below:

“I had no idea that COMMON was using the piece we had done together on [a track] in which he also used the ‘N’ word numerous times. I’m surprised and disappointed. I don’t know why he chose to do that. I had never heard him use that [word] before. I admired him so because he wasn’t singing the line of least resistance”.

And this is what Common had to say to Maya Angelou's statement below:

“I told her what ‘The Dreamer’ was about and what I wanted to get across to people. I wanted young people to hear this and feel like they could really accomplish their dreams.”

Many took this back and forth dialogue as some type of war or beef between the two. However, Maya Angelou called into BET's "106 & Park" show to dispute that fact and you can check that out when you click on the "Read More" button below:





And if for some reason you were unable to see or hear the clip you can read what Maya Angelou had to say on the show by reading below:

I don’t think the word “disappointment” quite makes it. I was “surprised.” I know that Common is brilliant. He may, in fact, be close enough to be called a genius – I’m not sure.

I know that we are all in process and young artists are in process. It’s important to realize that all of you – all of us – [are in process]. There was a statement made by Machiavelli in the 15th century. He said if you want to control the people, separate them, and you can rule them. Divide them and you can conquer them. I will not be divided from Common. By anybody’s imagination, he is brilliant and even genius, maybe. But certainly smarter than us to know that he’s in process. And next week, he might not even use the N-word[,] or the B-word. It may even take two or three weeks, or a month. But I’m not going to be separated from him…

Do your best to not be divided. This doesn’t mean you are supposed to support everything anybody says. Say “I disagree, but I don’t disagree to the point where I want you dead and out of here.” You must understand that, people, we live in direct relation to the heroes and sheroes we have. Always and in always if we don’t have heroes and sheroes and keep them alive, we are nothing.


So there you have it folks! No beefing over here, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the matter. You know I'm listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment